February 13th – BDD & Spec By Example, with Andy Longshaw and Mike Dickens
Mini Talk – Overtime with Iain Mitchell
10 minute lightning talk on the topic of over time, probably including bad metaphors about Biggie and Tupac.
Main Talk – BDD & Spec By Example with Andy Longshaw and Mike Dickens
The use of Behaviour-Driven Development (BDD) and Specification by Example can be a massive help in gaining clarity around what needs to be developed to satisfy the customer’s needs. Their benefits are fairly obvious but, as with many things, the devil is in the detail of how you work with them in practice. Capturing examples related to a system is comparatively straightforward but the challenge often comes when converting them into BDD. These can include:
- What is the right level of granularity for your BDD scenarios?
- How do you deal with common or shared scenarios?
- Who are the main roles from whose perspective you write ether BDD scenarios?
- What if you are working on only part of the system, for example a REST API to be consumed by others?
- Do you have enough examples are are they the right ones?
This session will explore some of these questions based on the experiences of the session leaders. Attendees will then engage in group work which allows them to practice creating their own BDD scenarios based on simple examples which can then be compared to those created by other groups to see how similar or different they are!
As usual, we’re at Madlab from 6:30, with the talks starting at 7pm.